Location suggestions for a family session:
* Your home – You’ll be amazed at how great this location for a real life, non-posed session! Children (and pets) tend to be more relaxed in their own home. They have their own toys, their own room, etc. While we’ll want to aim for morning or late afternoon sessions for an outdoor session, an indoor session has many mid-day options. Size is not much of a factor and we can work around the kids mess.
* Playgrounds – Ideal for action shots and natural smiles. My favorite playground is at Bennett’s Creek Park in Suffolk, VA.
* Parks – There are too many parks in Hampton Roads to mention. My favorite park for family portraits is Bennett’s Creek Park in Suffolk, VA. This park is perfect for portrait session and has awesome trails through the woods, canoes for the kids to play on, and gorgeous river views. City Park in Portsmouth, VA offers multiple locations in the park, including boat docks, a playground, and even an old train track and depot. Another great park is Huntington Park in Newport News, VA which boasts a real train engine, water views, and tree covered walkways.
* Beaches – I prefer the beach under the Lesner bridge in Virginia Beach, VA. The best time of day for a beach shot is sunset/early evening.
* Historic Downtown areas – For a more urban look, perfect for engagement sessions and senior portraits. I prefer Olde Towne Portsmouth, Ghent, and Downtown Norfolk. Fort Monroe in Hampton also offers a non-traditional look.